Wednesday, September 3, 2008

made it.

I've arrived in Petersburg safe and sound, and everything so far has been a jetlagge and deja-vu inducing chilly blur. The rain and autumn chill has already set in here in Petersburg- so much for any hope of a Russian summertime.
When you fly a lufthansa flight there's a period after they've served dinner trays and before they start the movie when you're subjected to an in seat exercise video. The star of the film is the most awkward and uncomfortable looking computer generated man in a sea foam sweater and matching socks. Maybe you've seen this. I'm always worried that between bending over and sitting up that the little man is going to pass out- apparently these are tough movements for him as his eyes are always bugging out of his head and the designer decided to emphasize his breathing. I can't watch it without feeling a bit queasy.
On the plane they played a movie with "Dr. mcdreamy" (i forget the actor's name) as the lead role. As far as i could tell it was a remake of My Best Friend's wedding without the charm of Julia Roberts and that lobster restaurant scene everyone loves. A bad movie for sure, made entertaining by my faulty sound system that was playing the soundtrack for another film on some of the channels, and the right soundtrack a half hour ahead of the movie on others. The flight attendent revealed to me an empty seat in the front row with plenty of leg room next to a couple with a darling baby who shockingly didn't cry at all. Even a shorty like me was feeling cramped in the back!
A short layover in Munich (i've spent too many hours in the Frankfurt airport by now so I try to avoid it if I can) and then a plane ride i slept through to Petersburg. When we landed i was reminded that Russians always applause when the plane makes it safely onto the ground, and that they're ferocious about cutting in line at passport control.

***

I was able to get in touch with my roomate Zhenya as I arrived and headed straight to my new apartment. Zhenya and I live right on the corner of Caravanaya and Nevsky Prospekt- an amazing location. I am in awe over the size of the room I'll be living in. My room is too big for one person, it's pretty much the size of Ryan and Greta's Denver apartment and has two шкафы (that's wardrobe for you non-russian speakers out there).
I'm at Smolny now taking care of registration. All you Smolny alumni will be thrilled to know that everyone's favorite blonde cafe worker is still here. I saw her coming out of the bathroom when i got here this morning, where i'm sure she didn't wash her hands (i caught her walking straight out once, not even pretending to wash her hands!)
Anyway, Bryan Billings wants to get a snack from the smolny cafe. I'll probably opt for something that comes in a wrapper.

4 comments:

The Frank Boys said...

Glad you made it! cheering when you land?! kinda makes you wonder what started the tradition! Thanks for starting this blog! I like to keep tabs on you, you know!
love,
Tammy

Denise said...

your apartment sounds amazing. have bryan over for dinner, but he better leave after dessert!

love,
abbichka

The Frank Boys said...

Lauren,
We'll keep Grandma Sylvia up to speed on your blog. She enjoyed hearing from you from DIA. Have fun in your spacious apartment. Sounds like it's big enough to play "vodka pong". Looking forward to learning more about your project.
Love,
Uncle Barry

CRF said...

Is this Zhenya nasha Zhenya, Russki-Yizika professor? (Forgive me, my language skills are extremely rusty.)
Glad to hear you're doing well and installed in premium digs ... I'm ultra-jealous.
Love,
Claire