Sunday, September 14, 2008

water water everywhere but not a drop in my sink.

These last few days have been disciplining me in the ways of convenience appreciation. About four days ago I woke up and made my way groggily to the bathroom to turn on the shower only to find that the faucet could only summon the equivalent of a "dry heave". Our hot water had been shut off. I wasn't about to risk taking a cold shower- even though the temperature outside has dropped the heating hasn't been turned on city-wide yet. I awoke a couple days later to find the same sound coming from the cold tap as well. Luckily that only lasted a day.
Our water's been shut back on and I'm fresh and clean, but still waiting to hear back about my computer. Last week my computer went through an identity crisis and decided to wipe it's memory out and start over anew. I would switch on my mac only to find a folder icon popping up on the screen switching between icons of a question mark and a finder face. Luckily through the spread of globalization and popularity of the ipod a bunch of re:stores have popped up around the city and they directed me to someone who is certified to fix computers.
I've hardly thought about everything that's been wiped out by this computer mishap. Thankfully I saved my senior thesis to my external harddrive- that would be a lot of re-typing if I ever wanted to print that out again.
Anyway, that's why I've been behind on email. Anyone know of a good program to rip music from your ipod onto your computer? Let's keep our fingers crossed that i'll have a functioning laptop in a couple of days....


Pictures of the apartment and Petersburg are coming soon. Also- i had my first printmaking session on saturday! We made linoleum cut block prints. I'll throw a picture of that up on here soon too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Russia, I guess. (At least Steve Jobs has an embassy there.) I had a similar water experience once in a shower in Prague, it wasn't pretty. But
Keep the stories coming, yes please!