Sunday, August 31, 2008

From a mile high to a city built on a swamp.

Welcome friends, family and all you internet addicts who have navigated yourselves to my blog! This is where I will track my adventures through Russia on my Fulbright-funded year abroad. As for a note on the title- Samizdat refers to the process of self-published literature throughout the period of Soviet censorship in Russia. The word is made up of two components: "sam", which in Russian means "self" or "by oneself" and "izdat" a shortened version of the word izdatel'stvo meaning "publishing house". So samizdat can be translated into english as "self-published".
The Samizdat movement took form not only to pass along poetry but political ideas and art as well. In this way the movement is relevant to the project I am embarking on- to study the tradition of the Russian artist book from the period of the avant-garde through contemporary Russia. I'll post a condensed version of my project proposal next.

As for now- I've got plenty of packing left to do so I will hop on that as I fly out of here tomorrow at 2pm! au revior Denver.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

удачи! :)

-джеймс

Jeff said...

Perhaps пака or до свидания денвер would've been more appropriate :)

Ok ok, I learned russian in Ukraine. Woohoo watson fellowship.

Neato on the fullbright btw, better person than me continuing academia right outta reed!

Luke Fidler said...

good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. Fulbright. You've made it! To Russia and into my bookmarks.
Seriously Lauren, you're officially my role model. Call me sometime and let me know what address is good for fan mail gangsta.