Sunday, April 5, 2009

arting around in petersburg

Now that there's little time left in Russia everything has sped up- I can hardly believe that it's been nearly 3 weeks since that last post. Sorry folks.

I've finished printing all the pages for my book, I've made a cover, now all I have to do is sew the whole thing together.

This last week was lots of printmaking and art openings.
First up: Pyotr Bely- the artist that shares the St. Petersburg Printmaking studio with Yuri had an opening at the Comic Art Gallery. He constructed spaces out of rubber, lights and color. i remember one day he walked into the studio playing with a big slice of rubber declaring that he'd fallen in love with the stuff. The gallery was super crowded so it was hard to get a good view of any of hte pieces in the front room:


but i really liked these spaces set up in the back. Still, they reminded me of renn fayre projects.



The Hermitage just opened a show about books in their collection- a mixture of artist books, rare antique books, and book objects. Yuri got me an invitation to the opening because one of his books is featured in the exhibition:

clock books:
I'm looking forward to going back again and actually getting a good look at the works- when i was there it was full of camera crews and photo journalists:
Everyone went off to drink champaigne and toast the event but I wandered around some of the hermitage interiors and found this hilarious wax bust of peter the great!

3 comments:

Sam said...

Pyotr Pervy looks strangely tranquil! Sweet photos... Samizdat's really reaching the cultural creme de creme or upper echelons. I've given up on real blogging and just do photos now, its more fun...

Denise said...

jessie wants one of your balloon prints. i second that emotion.

Museum intrigue said...

i meant to pass one along to you, but i didn't get a chance to grab one at the studio. I'll personally deliver one to you in cleveland this summer!