Sunday, May 31, 2009

Bodies in Urban Spaces (Pro Arte)

On Friday the St. Petersburg art institute Pro Arte celebrated its tenth anniversary at Peter and Paul fortress. The event included a choir singing soviet-style patriotic songs about Pro Arte, video installations by students and the visiting US artist Billy Viola, and one of the best performance art pieces I've seen: Bodies in Urban Spaces. The performance was exactly what the title implies. Photos below:








(we were incredibly impressed by this girl- she was so compact!):






Drainpipes galore!



These kids added to the performance and yelled "no! we're not part of it" to me when i snapped their picture, just in case i was confused:

1 comment:

Megan said...

What a fantastic performance! My name is Megan Snowe and I just met Yurii Shtapakov who mentioned that you were working in their print studio on a Fulbright. I am currently a volunteer at the Hermitage and would love to know more about what you are doing there!
my blogs are here:
rupeters.wordpress.com
megansnowe.blogspot.com