Wednesday, February 11, 2009

There is nothing worse than bug bites on your foot because your feet itch all over again when you put your shoes on. I wonder what keeps biting me in this apartment! it's making my skin crawl (not to mention itch and swell in bites!) I've looked into it a bit and decided it's not bed bugs- and it's never regular enough to be concerned of an infestation. I'll call these two spider bites and do my best not to itch them anymore.

I bought a ticket to Yekatarinburg today to go and visit my dear Abbichka. I'll leave Monday evening and get in Wendesday morning. 36 hours on a train! I'm kind of cringing at the thought of such a long trian ride, but it's an experience I should undertake before leaving. And it's weaksauce compared to the transiberian ride my friend David had to take back to Vladivastock. Lucky for me, i'll be riding out with fellow fulbrighters Elizabeth and Anna. I'm hoping for beautiful snowy Russian landscapes to decorate our views as we spend a cozy lazy day in the plotscar.

Buying the train tickets was a reminder in how one simple task in Russia takes up an entire afternoon. Russia has taught me patience, if nothing else. After waiting in unmoving lines we noticed a new window open up and hustled over right behind a woman ordering a ticket. As the woman was almost finished another Russian lady pushed her way through us and mumbled something about being there before the ticket window went on break. Ok, that's annoying, but typical we all thought. Next, a SECOND lady budges in front of us. She argues with Anna about her place in line, and proceeds to purchase tickets for an entire excursion group!!! We had to wait while she negotiated and signed for 11 tickets. The whole ordeal took over 3 hours, so we decided that to indulge in a sushi lunch. after all, the dollar seems to be kicking ass and taking names over here so it's not the splurge it used to be.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

it's bryan sneaking into your room at night! lock your windows!